So today I came across an odd problem where excel 2007 was taking anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute to open files. The weird thing was that if the excel program was already open it would open up the files quickly, so I knew it had to be excel 2007 and not the files. So after digging around the internet and trying mutliple things I came across the solution. Its an easy fix.
Perform the following steps below.
1. Click on Start and go to settings and click on Control Panel.
2. Double click on Folder Options and select File Types tab.
3. Select XLS file type extension and click on Advanced.
4. Highlight Open under actions and click Edit.
In the dialog box that appears you need to make two adjustments:
1) At the end of the line after /e append a space character followed by “%1” (including the quotes)
2) Uncheck “Use DDE”.
3) Now Click OK three times to close out all the windows.
Now try and open up one of your excel files and it should open up quickly.